Wednesday, May 9, 2012

How I will vote in 2015


Dear Prime Minister Harper,

I am counting the days until 19 October, 2015. I believe that millions of other Canadian are too. That’s the date for which the next federal election is scheduled, and I want you to know that I will vote in the hope that your government is defeated.

Please read on, because my message to you goes beyond the usual “I will not vote for your party.” In 2015 I will do more than not vote for your party. The 2015 election will be different.

Here’s the difference. I will not vote for your party, and I will do my utmost to persuade as many of my relatives, friends, colleagues, and acquaintances not to vote for your party either. For me, this kind of involvement in an election campaign will be a first. I feel the next election is that crucial for the future of Canada.

I live in the riding currently represented by the Honourable Jim Flaherty, whose repeated majority of votes will make my protest vote almost meaningless. Therefore, I will take my message to family, friends, colleagues, and acquaintances in other ridings where NDP and Liberal candidates lead. I feel the next election is that crucial.

I will not vote for your party – and will stress this to my family and friends – because in gutting environmental regulations, muzzling scientists who state facts about climate change, and persecuting environmental organizations you will leave an impoverished, polluted country for generations of Canadians to come.

I will not vote for your government – and will stress this to my family and friends – because of your contempt for democracy in shutting down Parliament twice, curtailing debate in the House of Commons often, harassing official watchdogs of the common good, and brushing aside evidence of widespread voter fraud by your party.

I will not vote for your party – and will stress this to my family and friends – because of your government’s incompetence and mismanagement in the F-35 procurement debacle, including willfully misleading Parliament about the prohibitive costs, and its unfeeling neglect of needy Canadian veterans even as your party’s spokespeople wrap themselves in flags.

I will be persistent, because I feel the next election is that crucial.

I hope you will reverse your war on the environment, and return to democratic processes, but I fear there is little hope of that.

Canadians are watching, sir. I hope that millions of them, like me, are counting the days until October 2015.

Sincerely,
Barbara Kyle
Whitby, ON

No comments:

Post a Comment